|ਇਸ ਸਫ਼ੇ ਦਾ ਸਾਰ ਅੰਸ਼: We are publishing sets of Wikipedia articles in print, CD, DVD, or some combination thereof.|
This is the Version 1.0 Editorial Team page.
In late 2003, Jimmy Wales making an offline release version of Wikipedia. This group was formed in late 2004 to meet this challenge. Our work involves identifying and organizing articles, and improving and maintaining a core set. Our work does not hinder the existing wiki process for creating and editing articles, but rather it supports that work by providing additional organization.
See these more detailed related articles:
- Wikipedia 1.0 FAQs
- Wikipedia 1.0 Release Version Criteria
- Broad overview of Wikimedia's Offline Project
How you can help[ਸੋਧੋ]
You are encouraged to join us and help out with one of the projects, or to discuss Wikipedia 1.0 on the talk page. A significant part of our work centers around maintaining the assessment scheme, which is now used on more than three million articles by over 2000 WikiProjects on the English Wikipedia. It is also being used on other language projects. Generally work on this team is sporadic - periods of hectic activity followed by long periods of waiting! Often work is long and tedious - checking through a list of 22,000 instances of profanities one by one, organizing 10,000 keywords taken from category names, or dealing with technical bugs when the assessment bot fails for no apparent reason. However, it's all worth it in the end.
Our strategy has been intensely debated, but the group has reached a consensus. We elected not to follow the German model. Instead we chose to start with a core of quality articles on key subjects and expand from there. We have produced three test versions: Version 0.5, Version 0.7, and Version 0.8 with the goal of releasing better collections of articles in due course. The next general release is generically referred to as "Release Version" while our first "official" comprehensive release will be called Version 1.0. These collections are then made available for offline use using a reader such as Kiwix, which was chosen as Sourceforge project of the month. As of February 2013, we are beginning work on Version 0.9, which aims to produce a collection of around 50,000 articles that are autoselected to avoid vandalism, and with an autogenerated index.
Although we have much of the requisite system automated, there are still some outstanding tasks:
- Preparation of a reliable index. If you can write code and you're interested in how to map category trees into a useful index (not as easy as it sounds!) please contact Walkerma.
- Reviewing manual nominations. Whenever there is a new release being planned, we need volunteers to review a few articles and process them.
- Propose useful "guide" pages to be added, such as lists and disambiguation pages.
- Check for vandalism in the selected version-IDs of the articles.
- Develop nice pages for navigation through the content, such as subject portals.
- Test the reader software, and find and report bugs.
- Help with distribution, especially in remote areas without Internet access.
Please let us know on the Talk page if you can help with any of these.
Version 0.8 was released on 3 March 2011. The next version will be version 0.9, which we had hoped to release some time in 2013, but problems with the code prevented this. We did have an offer to fix the code in 2014. Version 1.0 is intended to include a comprehensive index and a version (RevID) quality control system (the latter was used on 0.8). We also intend to continue working with the "Selection project" and the One Laptop Per Child organization.
To select articles, we are mainly using a bot-assisted selection process based on assessment by individual WikiProjects, where articles are selected automatically based on quality and importance project rankings. We have also developed a method to automate the version selection using WikiTrust, to ensure that vandalism does not remain in our offline releases; we may also use Flagged Revisions if feasible.
- As of February 2013, more than 3,500,000 articles have been assessed for the project by over 1,000 WikiProjects. This work has begun to spread to Wikipedias of other languages. More...
- We are looking for ways to generate an index for our collections, which will circumvent the issues of using categories.
- We are working with the Wikimedia Offline Strategy Taskforce.
Wikipedia 1.0 projects[ਸੋਧੋ]
|Wikipedia 1.0 Projects|
|Name||Summary of overall strategy||Coordinator||Description of activities|
|Release Version (next version will be Version 0.9)||Create an article selection of the most important and high quality articles, using automation to expedite the process.||User:Walkerma||The next release, Version 0.9, uses bot-assisted article selection, with manual adjustments based on feedback from WikiProjects.|
|"Selection" project (previously called "Test Version")||Work with release version done off site that was coordinated by BozMo||User:BozMo||BozMo's group has already released two versions, with 2000 and 4000+ articles respectively, with content filtered/selected for use by children (see Wikipedia:Wikipedia CD Selection). The 2008 selection was released in autumn 2008.|
|Work Via WikiProjects (WVWP)||Use "networking" to mobilise our existing subject specialists||User:Walkerma||Organise and facilitate compilation of article lists from the WikiProjects and seek to identify important topics within each WikiProject's area of expertise. Locate important topics that are currently not being managed by projects. In conjunction with WP:COUNCIL, the project serves as a link with the editing community, and may later help locate expert reviewers.|
|Torrent Project||To distribute Wikipedia CD by the means of file sharing.||User:Nominaladversary (currently on a very long Wikibreak)||We strive to make an alternate download of the CDs through the use of the BitTorrent and ED2K Networks.|
|Core Topics||Small foundation based on core topics, build from there.||User:Maurreen (currently on Wikibreak)||Improve a set of around 160 articles on top-level subjects, plus around 200 high level articles in a supplement, through a COTF and other collaborations. Once these reach a publishable standard, a further set of key topics will be assessed and brought up to standard.|
|/simple wikipedia content delivery system||very simple delivery system for wikipedia content||andybrookestar||I am working on a very simple delivery system for wikipedia content, using slackware 13.37, apache-tomcat webserver(with installed php parser), MySQl and a java server page that connects to MySQl. I am looking for an updated download similar to that presented at schools-wikipedia 2009.|
|Wikipedia 1.0 Projects|
|Name||Summary of overall strategy||Month of release||Description of activities||Website||Next release|
|Version 0.5||A test release prior to release of Version 1.0 above.||April 2007||A test release designed to pave the way for Version 1.0. Used manual nominations and approval based on importance and quality. Approval was by only one person, from the review team.||||Version 0.7|
|Version 0.7||A test release of automated article selections, prior to release of Version 1.0 above.||Early 2010||A test release designed to pave the way for Version 1.0. Used SelectionBot to make an article selection based on importance and quality. Vandalism prevention used a script, with manual checks, which delayed the release significantly. ||Kiwix, Okawix||Version 0.8|
|Version 0.8||A test release of automated article selections, prior to release of Version 1.0 above.||March 2011||A test release designed to pave the way for Version 1.0. Version 0.8 used bot-assisted article selection, with manual adjustments based on feedback from WikiProjects. Used as a test of the WikiTrust revisionID selection code - this worked well.||Wikipedia:Version 0.8/downloads.||Version 0.9|
|2006 Wikipedia CD Selection (previously called "Test Version")||Work with release version done off site that was coordinated by BozMo||April 2006||2000 articles with content filtered/selected for use by children (see Wikipedia:Wikipedia CD Selection).||||2007 Wikipedia CD Selection (below)|
|2007 Wikipedia CD Selection||Work with release version done off site that was coordinated by BozMo||May 2007||4655 articles with content filtered/selected for use by children (see Wikipedia:Wikipedia CD Selection).||No longer available - see 2008/9 release below||2008/9 Wikipedia CD Selection (below)|
|2008/9 Wikipedia CD Selection||Work with release version done off site that was coordinated by BozMo||October 2008||5502 articles with content filtered/selected for use by children (see Wikipedia:Wikipedia CD Selection).||http://schools-wikipedia.org||Not yet known|
Proposed or inactive projects[ਸੋਧੋ]
- Authoritative Editions — This project gives experts in each field the tools to review articles in their area of expertise and give their okay to particular revisions as meeting their standard of judgment.
- Allow editors to propose new groups; for example: "Featured Article review" or "American Physical Society peer review".
- Each blessing group would have a set of review guidelines.
- Each blessing group would consist of this set of guidelines, and a set of users who could bless a revision of an article as satisfying them.
- Articles with blessed revisions would display icons or links to last-blessed revisions.
- Featured Articles First — now reviewing older or problem FAs to ensure that quality is maintained, ready for inclusion of these articles in Wikipedia 1.0.
- Geography project — proposes to produce essentially a descriptive gazetteer of the world for publication. This could include an atlas, continents, countries and major cities. This would serve as a test bed for publishing Wikipedia 1.0, but could also be a valuable stand-alone product.
- Three Level Editing — lets all users participate in a three part editing process to assure that pages are up to quality standards. The first level is just a general check, the second level is a factual check, and the third level is a last "just in case" check. This process would assure that articles would be up to standards without putting too much responsibility on one user.
- Biographies — improve and assess biographical articles, especially the 200 Core Biographies, in conjunction with Wikipedia:WikiProject Biography.
- Dynamic Pocket Cyclopedia Lists most important FAs, FLs, and GAs. An evolving list of no more than half of Wikipedia’s most important featured articles, featured lists, and designated good articles.
- WikiSort Integrate the sifting process into the Wiki. Aims to use data from the planned user rating scheme to provide rankings of articles, such that important quality articles can be automatically identified for inclusion in Wikipedia 1.0. This project has been rendered obsolete by WikiProject-based assessments (see above).
- Article assessment This project has been rendered obsolete by WikiProject-based assessments (see above).
Stages to publication[ਸੋਧੋ]
On the English Wikipedia, we use the Selection Bot as part of the selection process, using the WikiProject assessments to indicate the state of each article. The online version is held on the Kiwix server while undergoing cleanup. The offline format we use is ZIM format, and the conversion is performed by User:Kelson. Currently Linterweb, a French software company, is publishing our material.
The WP 1.0 bot tracks assessment data (article quality and importance data for individual WikiProjects) assigned via Talk page banners. If you would like to add a new WikiProject to the bot's list, please read the instructions at Wikipedia:Version 1.0 Editorial Team/Using the bot.
The global summary table below is computed by taking the highest quality and importance rating for each assessed article in the main namespace.
Please give your name information and how you would like to help. Please take a look at the To Do List for information on specific current needs.
|Name||Special interests||WP 1.0 Projects|
|)||Sorting and editing.|
|)||I am interested in sending an electronic copy into outer space on various spacecraft and also transmittal.|
|)||Reviewing, editing and assessing.|
|)||Review, edit or rewrite any article.||Wikipedia:WikiProject Genetics, Wikipedia:WikiProject Medicine/Medical genetics task force|
|)||Flag Articles for edits, revisions, rewriting, etc.|
|)||improve articles in association with Editorial team 1.0|
|)||Assessments and formatting|
|)||improve article layout||finding...|
|)||Assessment & validation, chemistry||Core topics, WVWP, V0.5 onwards|
|)||Sourcing images, article layout||Core topics|
|)||work with sports biographies, hip-hop, and City articles, also WP:GA.|
|)||NPOV/spelling/grammar/style mop-up||My topical interests are widely various, so my content edits will probably reflect that.|
|)||Assessment, cyclones||WVWP, V0.5N|
|)||Copyediting, Disney-related articles|
|)||Culture, Society, Sustainability||Core topics|
|)||Spirituality/religion, animal related, psychology/sexology
Specialist enjoyment: intro redrafts and problem article cleanup.
|)||Hinduism, Jainism, India, Computers, Proper notation of Sanskrit in 1.0||Hinduism, Jainism, India|
|)||CD and PDA release||0.5 version, WP:AFR|
|)||Russian-related topics, Polymers, Australia||Portal:Russia, Portal:Ukraine|
|)||WP:KLF, WP:BEATLES, WP:QUEEN, WP:F1|
|)||Science, mostly medicine, biology;||Portal:Medicine maintainer; Core topics; scientific topics|
|)||History, Computer Science, Aviation, Geography, Literature|
|)||Astronomy, Physics, Italy, Netherlands, proofreading|
|)||Community building: Helping to organise People, Projects, Places and Portals||/Work via Wikiprojects|
|)||Physical and Life Sciences, and Mathematics, particularly, Automata, and some History.|
|)||Volunteering, enabling people to have more options, wikipedia cd||Torrent Project|
|)||Biology, Caribbean topics, science and society|
|)||literary works, history (particularly religious history), and more|
|)||WVWP, 0.5, CVG|
|)||Aviation||Portal:Aviation creator and maintainer,Assessment|
|)||Science, History, Arts - almost everything. Work interest: General Development & Design.||Tagging articles for WPCD 1.0|
|)||WP:Belfast, Northern Ireland, WP:BEATLES, WP:F1|
|)||Molecular biology, biochemistry, biology|
|)||Sociology, Social sciences, Humanities||Core Topics, categorization, article eval., release design & publishing|
|)||India, cricket, layout, Geography, History|
|)||assessment, religious biography, general religion/philosophy|
|)||Assessment, Western Australia-related articles|
|)||Assessment, WikiProject template improvement with regard to assessments and such (long-term project). Topically: cue sports, albinism and various language articles, among others.||WVWP|
|)||Natural sciences, esp. historical science.||WVWP|
|)||Assesment, Technology articles and videogame articles.||V 0.7|
|)||Sports, science, technology, geography|
|)||I am Coordinator of WP:LGBT, so I am quite experienced in that area.||Anything to do with actual publication, I am very keen to give us some offline legitimacy.|
|ਫਰਮਾ:User11||I will become an admin soon||World's ethnic groups, World's Military, Peru related stuff|
|)||Video games||WP:WVWP, WP:V0.7|
|Pete||Oregon, politics & government, consensus process, proper citations, outdoors||WP:WPOR|
|Doc Strange||indie rock, music, movies, television||WP:V0.7|
|Miskin||General topics of high importance||WP:V0.7, WP:1.0|
|)||Roads/highways, technology (mostly computers/computing)||WP:0.7, WP:1.0, WP:PENNA, WP:PHILLY, WP:LVPA, WP:USRD (and subprojects), WP:COMP (and descendant/related projects)|
|)||A variety of interests, though beer is the main one.||Beer|
|)||Religious history, theology, philosophy|
|)||Medical topics, anatomy etc.Will add wiki articles to their relevant projects & eventually every article is under a wikiproject.|
|)||General Movies, Technology and sport, such as American football topics.||Core topics|
|)||Anything and Everything||WP:V0.7|
|)||Religion, books, careers, Wikification, copyediting, etc. Just ask and I'll tell you.|
|)||Anything that I can help, I'll help. Basically, I want to improve the quality of the article and fix outline format.|
|)||multiple fields; all Hinduism topics, religion and mysticism.||WP:V1.0|
|Jordan Timothy James Busson (talk · contribs)||Psychology, Philosophy, Religion|
|)||biology, especially botany, paleobiology, and organismal biology||WP:V1.0|
|)||Article selection, rating|
|)||Various subjects, various WikiProjects|
|)||Since I do assessment anyways, might as well join||Anywhere|
|)||Assessments and minor formatting||Wherever needed, generally work on Ohio-project-related articles and some medical|
|)||Assessments, formatting, proofreading, expansion||Wherever needed, especially computing related articles|
|)||Animatronics (Robotics), Computers, Gaming, Programming, removing cruft, etc.||WP:TP|
|)||Assessments, formatting, proofreading, expansion||Wherever needed, especially computing related articles and chemistry-related|
|)||Assessments, minor re-formatting, proofreading and review||Preferably Medical-related areas|
|)||Assessments and minor formatting||generally work on Côte d'Ivoire-project-related articles|
|)||Assessments and reassessments|
|)||Assessments and Re-assessments, reviewing country related things (like limited recognition's)||For now: Wikipedia:WikiProject Lakes/Assessment, Wikipedia:WikiProject Oceans/Assessment, and Wikipedia:WikiProject Central Asia/Assessment|
|)||Assessing unassessed articles and finding WikiProjects for articles without one||WP:WVWP, numerous other WikiProjects|
|)||Assessing articles, specially Chile-related ones.||Chile, Pichilemu, 80s and 60s music.|
|)||Assessing, copyediting, reviewing etc.|
|)||Article assessments and reassessments||WP:VA|
|)||Article assessments and copyediting.|
|)||Arabic-related topics, biographies, proofreading etc.|
|)||Film-related topics, particularly film awards and film genres||Wikipedia: WikiProject Films, Wikipedia: WikiProject Actors and Filmmakers|
|)||Article assessments and reassessments||WP:WikiProject G.I. Joe, WP:WikiProject Transformers|
|)||Typo fixing articles, ideally before the release.|
|)||Article assessments and reassessments preferably natural sciences articles|
|)||Backlog eliminations. Regardless of type. Prefer assessment, typos.|
|)||Typo fixing, assessment, formatting|
|)||Sports, mostly NBA, social events, and more.|
|)||Reducing the number of articles that have no assessments at all; reducing the number of articles where an automated assessment (based on length, number of footnotes, etc.) disagrees with the assigned assessment|
|)||Article assessment, formatting, reviewing|
|)||Legal articles assessment, copy editing, review||WikiProject:Law|
|)||new content creation, copyediting, citation harvesting and formatting, policy discussion, review and assessment, community building; biographies, discographies, video games, retrotech/retrogaming, etc|
|)||Reviewing, editing, and assessment of articles.|
- Jimbo's proposal, Chicago Meetup - Jimbo's Oct 2004 ideas on how to get to 1.0.
- Wikipedia:Pushing to 1.0 Early discussion page for brainstorming ideas, before this team was created.
- meta:Wikipedia 1.0
- meta:Static content group
Assessment and validation[ਸੋਧੋ]
- Wikipedia:Article assessment
- meta:Article validation and Wikipedia:Pushing to validation - argue the benefit of article validation and possible implementations
- Wikipedia:Flagged revisions (similar to the older "stable versions")
- Wikipedia:Peer review
- Wikipedia:Request for comment
- Wikipedia:WikiProject Fact and Reference Check
- Wikipedia:Books & meta:WikiReader - Wikipedia books are collections of articles from Wikipedia on a certain topic, in the form of PDFs published for download and intended to be printed, and also to be sold in printed form.
- The Book Tool, and Wiki to print, a collaboration between the Foundation and OSI/PediaPress.
- Wikipedia:Vital articles
- Wikipedia:WikiProject Missing encyclopedic articles - Filling the gaps.
- Wikipedia:Good articles
- Featured Articles
- Wikipedia:Stable versions
- List of online encyclopedias - compare Wikipedia with other projects